Skin Care FAQ
Frequently asked Questions about Natural Probiotic Skin Care
What is Probiotic Skin Care?
Probiotics like Kombucha contain B-vitamins and enzymes, and a high concentration of gluconic, acetic and lactic acids, as well as a number of other metabolites like glucosamine. Probiotic bacteria are meant to stabilize skin’s defense system by allowing our skin to regain its natural balance, much like probiotics do for our gut. In fact, skin is at its healthiest when coupled with good balance of bacteria internally and externally.
Why Craft & Culture Natural Probiotic Skin Care?
Here are Craft & Culture, we specialize in all-natural, pro-biotic based skin care products. Our goods are handcrafted in Singapore with mostly organic, raw, unprocessed and/or unrefined key ingredients and are made with no chemical preservatives. Each and every product has been lovingly tested and used. We often revisit formulations and products to improve on them. As our products are handmade, small variations in colour and smell are common from batch to batch.
What are the benefits of using Craft & Culture’s Natural Skin Care?
At Craft & Culture, we’ve been using homemade skincare using our drinkables for several years now. In fact, when our customers order drinks from us, they sometimes ask us if they can incorporate our Kombucha and Milk Kefir drinks into DIY skin care products. What began as simple suggestions, grew into a significant direction for us in terms of how we wanted to evolve the company…Skin Care!
What we’ve noticed was that our short 15 minute facial masks involving Kombucha and Milk Kefir caused our skin to appear brighter and tighter in one use. Even red, inflamed skin from a sun burn or eczema flare was greatly reduced with a simple spray of liquid. By including a proprietary blend of powerful botanicals and essential oils, the efficacy of our natural skincare products are further enhanced. We couldn’t be more excited because our products are getting awesome feedback!
Common Benefits of using Kombucha and Milk Kefir on skin: Increased skin health, soothe inflammation and itch, treat acne etc.
Although the research done using probiotic skin care is not extensive and conclusive, we managed to find a cool scientifically-backed article from Dermatology Times asking “Are skincare products with probiotics worth the hype?“ (Short Answer is Yes!)
Active Ingredient Glossary and Uses
- Kombucha – Gluconic acid, lactic acid, acetic acid, vitamins (particularly B vitamins and vitamin C), amino acids, enzymes.. The acids reduce acne breakouts, appearance of wrinkles and other signs of ageing. Vitamin C reduces photo damage from the sun and helps with wound healing.
- Milk Kefir – Probiotics, lactic acid bacteria, proteins, lipids. Reduces acne breakouts, appearance of wrinkles and other signs of ageing.
- Calendula – Moisturizer for dry skin, rashes and for severely chapped or split skin, soothes the area and reduces the pain. Anti-inflammatory action helps lessen swelling from injury. Antiseptic and antimicrobial action helps to speed up healing of wounds and minor cuts, relieve insect bites, acne and bed sores. Treat eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis and other skin problems.
- Lavender – Used to treat various skin disorders such as acne, wrinkles, psoriasis, and other inflammatory conditions. Speeds up the healing process of wounds, cuts, burns, and sunburns because it improves the formation of scar tissues. Combines with Chamomile to treat eczema.
- Tea Tree – Anti-viral and anti-fungal properties used to treat cuts, wounds, burns, boils and other skin disorders, like eczema, psoriasis and other inflammatory conditions. Reduces acne, chapped lips. Hydrates dry skin.
- Citronella – Naturally repels insects, fights free radical damage, anti-fungal, reduces inflammation, fights respiratory infections, relieves muscle pain.
- Rosemary – Cell regeneration properties are effective in dehydrating and toning skin. Treats visible skin conditions and replaces the damaged tissue, thus reducing the appearance of scars and spots. Anti-inflammatory properties useful in treating chronic skin conditions such as dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis.
- Roman Chamomile -Antimicrobial and antioxidant properties used to treat swelling and skin conditions that are associated with allergy symptoms. Anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties effective in treating eczema, wounds, ulcers, gout, skin irritations, bruises, burns and even skin conditions like cracked nipples and diaper rash.
- Peppermint – Brightens dull skin, controls acne and useful as insect repellent. Anti-viral properties effective in cuts, wounds, burns, boils and other skin disorders, like eczema, psoriasis and other inflammatory conditions.
- Grapeseed Oil – High concentration of essential fatty acids like palmitic, stearic, and linoleic acid which are effective at minimizing the prominence and size of scars. Rich in polyphenols (anti-inflammatory antioxidants) retard the aging process and prevent acne outbreaks. Effectively moisturizes the skin,balancing both dry and oily patches.
- Coconut Oil – Retains moisture content of skin. Strong antimicrobial protects against infection that can enter the body through wounds. Vitamin E is essential for healthy skin growth, repair of wear & tear on the skin, keeping skin smooth and protecting against cracking. Good antioxidant properties prevents premature aging and wrinkling of skin. Rich in proteins that contribute to cellular health and tissue repair.
How much is shipping and when can I expect my parcel if I placed an order today and live within Singapore?
All Singapore orders under $30 will incur a $3.50 flat rate shipping charge; Free Shipping applies for orders $30 and above. Orders are dispatched within 1-3 business days of receiving payment and sent via SingPost. You can expect your order to arrive within 1-3 business days.
I live overseas and want to place an online order. How much will shipping be and how long will it take to arrive?
If you are located in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia, we use standard weight-based shipping for orders below $50; For orders above $50, shipping is free. Orders are dispatched within 1-3 business days of receiving payment and sent via SingPost. You can expect your order to arrive within 1-7 business days.
For all other countries the shipping is estimated online, as you go; For orders above $100, shipping is free wherever you are! We try our best to subsidize the shipping for you in an effort to keep costs down. We use SingPost for all international orders and ask you to allow up to 10 working days for delivery. Orders are dispatched within 1-3 business days of receiving payment and sent via SingPost.
Absolutely not! We test only on humans (ourselves, family and friends) and so far our expert reviewers range from a bubbly 4-year old toddler with food allergies and eczema to an active retiree with dry, sensitive skin. As we use all-natural ingredients and food grade materials with no parabens, phthalates and no harmful chemical preservatives, we do not feel guilty using humans as our test subjects. You can sign up to be our reviewer anytime using our email or facebook page to give us a heads up.
Our products have no fillers or crazy chemical preservatives so they are not made to last. We advise for you to store products in a cool and dry place or in the fridge. Discard any unused/unopened products within the advised use by date on the product page. We hand make our products fresh upon order.
The immune system works in different ways and what works for some will not for others. Some people have allergies to natural ingredients but not synthetic ingredients. That being said, at Craft & Culture, we believe for most people, natural products are better.
As with all skin care products, we suggest you patch test first and wait for 24 hours before resuming with liberal application.
Eczema can be thought of as an allergy that breaks out on the skin, often starting with small red bumps and spreading with an itch. There is more information on our website under “Eczema”. Your doctor will provide information and often prescribe a cortisone based anti-inflammatory cream. This can be very effective at bringing an acute breakout under control, but there are limitations for longer term use as discussed with your health care professional, for example liver complications and steroid withdrawal symptoms…Yikes! Our Eczema Restorative Balm is also anti-inflammatory and has helped to get this condition under control for our customers. It can be used as often and for as long as needed.
At Craft, we believe that managing eczema also involves minimizing triggers, on top of topical applications. For example, for food allergy-triggered eczema, care should be taken one’s diet to minimize a particular food.
Although the Eczema Balm has some moisturising oils, it is not specifically a moisturiser. The Eczema Balm is a topical treatment to be applied to affected areas. As Eczema and Psoriasis are both dry skin conditions the balm works great in conjunction with a moisturiser.
Like all natural remedies, it will take a while before you see an improvement. Everybody is different and results do vary, however, with patience, you will definitely see the results. The balm acts as an anti-inflammatory (Eczema is an inflammation of the skin) as well as controlling Seborrheic Dermatitis. As always, we suggest you patch test first.