Milk Kefir is a fermented milk drink which originated from the north Caucasus Mountains. It is fermented from kefir grains which are a combination of lactic acid bacteria and yeasts in a matrix of proteins, lipids and sugars. It tastes like your regular Greek Yogurt with lots of probiotics and nutrients.
Did you know? Milk kefir and yogurt taste pretty similar, but milk kefir contains 20-60 strains of probiotic yeasts and bacteria whereas yogurt contains on average about 3 strains.
Milk Kefir contains lactic acid, vitamin B12, vitamin C and all the nutrients found in milk. It tastes like drinkable Greek yogurt, except that it has lots more probiotics--Yogurt has about 3 strains of bacteria, while milk kefir can contain up to 20-60 strains. What’s cool about milk kefir is that after fermentation, it is 99% lactose-free and are suitable for people who are lactose-intolerant. It is also taken to relieve symptoms of allergies and eczema.
Experimental Health Benefits include :
- Relieves allergies and maintains skin health
- Improve immune system, especially related ailments such as chronic fatigue syndrome, herpes, cancer and AIDS
- Tranquilizing effect on the nervous system e.g. sleep disorders, depression, and ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder)
- Improves gut health and intestinal disorders with its cleansing effect
- Beneficial for those on diets as it helps eliminate unhealthy food cravings by keeping the body nourished and balanced.
To start your day with a bottle of Milk Kefir on an empty stomach. If you are new to it, start with a small quantity to get your body used to it.