[NEW CLASS] Napa Cabbage Kimchi Workshop
Kimchi Workshop (2 Hr)
What is Kimchi?
Kimchi, Korea’s national food, is one of our favorite fermented foods ever, and it’s crunchy, tangy and umami! It contains its own type of lactic acid bacteria Lactobacillus kimchii, as well as other probiotic bacteria that may benefit digestive health. Kimchi made from cabbage is high in vitamins and minerals, including vitamin K, riboflavin (vitamin B2) and iron!
Famed chef David Chang of Momofuku describes it best:
"Microbes produce enzymes, enzymes develop amino acids, glutamic acid + aspartic acid = umami, umami = delicious." We can’t agree more.
In the market, some vendors are selling “fresh” kimchi. Beyond the appealing title, "fresh" kimchi is not lactofermented as external vinegar has been added instead of allowing the beneficial microbes and yeasts to produce their own intrinsic vinegars.
In fact the longer kimchi is allowed to ferment naturally, the stronger and more sour its flavours become--aged kimchi is highly prized in Korea because of this.
Benefits of Kimchi:
- Rich in vitamins, minerals and amino acids
- Packed with beneficial probiotic bacteria that’s good for the gut
- Strengthens the immune system
- Reduce inflammation
- Slow ageing
- Promote weight loss
- Support Heart Health
If you think all kimchi is the same, we’re looking forward to surprising you with our tried and tested recipe. Once you know how to make your own, you’ll never go back to store-bought as handmade tastes best!
We love it on its own as ban-chan or incorporated into stir-fries and stews. Kimchi is incredibly versatile and would be a great addition to your diet!
Unless specifically requested (below), all kimchi in this class will contain fish sauce
Participants will receive:
- Raw materials and ingredients for their own ferments
- 1 glass jar per participant
- Instruction Sheets and recipe ideas
- Use of Craft & Culture’s facilities and equipment
- Member's-Only Access on Facebook, where we provide support and resources
- ***Vegetarian Options Available: Pls contact us immediately upon signing up so we can prepare ahead for you. Last minute requests may not be accommodated***
In this 2 hour workshop, you will learn about:
- Why Bacteria and Moulds are crucial
- What is fermentation and probiotics
- How are they beneficial
- sterile techniques so as to prevent the formation of harmful microbes that could jeopardize your ferment.
- Hands on activity to make your own napa cabbage kimchi
- +***Bonus activity if time permits***
- Address: 183 Jalan Pelikat, B1-115, Singapore 537643 (Between Lobby 3 and 4)
- Please aim to arrive on time. Doors will only open 5 min before each session.
- A reminder email and health declaration form (for filling) will be sent the week of the workshop
How are we different?
Craft & Culture's workshops, like our brews, are rated #1 in Singapore for quality, content and know how. Each workshop is progressive and focuses on best practices and troubleshooting, so no matter the difficulty level, participants are able to replicate what they've learned each and every time.
See what Satisfied Participants had to Say!
Workshop Policy (Please READ full terms before purchasing):
- Only vaccinated persons will be permitted to attend
- Each class requites a min number of persons to run. In the event that the participation rate is not met within 48 hours of the class date, Craft & Culture reserves the right to provide rescheduling options or cancel the class.
Please fill out this mandatory form HERE after your order has been placed
Cancellations: There will strictly be no refunds and rescheduling after purchase; you may transfer your participation in the event you are unable to attend. Should you require further assistance, pls email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. All participants who feel unwell (cold, cough, fever) are advised to stay home.
Should there be any unforeseen circumstances resulting in rescheduling/cancellation of the workshop by Craft & Culture, participants will be informed via text messages/email. Participants may choose to get a refund in full/use store credit.
Products shown in image may vary from actual products in the class depending on availability of raw materials.
- Light cleaning and washing up will be done by participant.
Participants have to bring their own bags to bring their ferments home. Bags will not be provided.